Wind down after a long day and test out 5 simple DIY home face mask recipes to help you improve the texture and appearance of your skin.
Avocado + Honey + Lemon Face Mask
1/2 of a ripe Avocado
1 Tablespoon of pure Honey
1/2 Teaspoon of freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
1) You’ll want to wash your face to start, riding your face of any excess oil and makeup
2) Mash the avocado in a bowl with the back of a spoon or fork, then mix in the honey and lemon juice!
3) Apply the goopy paste (OVER THE SINK!) with your fingers or a clean makeup brush, and let it sit on your skin for about 15-20 minutes.
4) Rinse thoroughly, and follow up with your usual skin care routine.
Avocado is full of vitamins, and moisturizing properties. Vitamin E and healthy fats that drench your skin in moisture, leaving your feeling soft and smooth.
Lemon happens to be a natural astringent and clarifies your skin.
Honey is an amazing natural moisturizer, along with having natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, which is great for acne treatment and prevention!
Aside from being beyond easy to make, I found it to be wonderfully moisturizing. It left my skin not only feeling soft and supple, but it also looked bright and smooth all over. This recipe did make a significant amount, so I was able to share the leftovers of the DIY mask! I’m definitely going to use this recipe more often.
Honey + Cinnamon + Nutmeg Face Mask
1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
2 Teaspoons of pure Honey
1) Make sure you start with a clean, fresh face and absolutely no makeup.
2) Next up, mix your cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey in a bowl or mug.
3) Apply the mask all over your face, avoiding the eye area, and allow it to rest for about 20 minutes or so.
4) Rinse the mask off thoroughly and carry on with your skin care routine.
Cinnamon is an antiseptic that helps with reducing bacteria on the surface of your skin, preventing pimples and even help dry out existing pimples.
Nutmeg exfoliates your skin, which in turn reduces the look of existing pimples and cleans out your pores with no harsh chemicals.
Honey again is a natural humectant, with natural moisturizing properties.
It was super quick and easy to make with ingredients I already had at home. It smelled delicious and had lovely results. My skin was soft and smooth, but I think I’d rather stick with my current exfoliators.
Coffee + Cocoa Face Mask
4 Tablespoons of unsweetened Cocoa Powder
4 Tablespoons of ground Espresso or Coffee Beans
8 Tablespoons of Milk OR Heavy Cream OR Almond Milk OR Coconut Milk
1) Grind your espresso or coffee beans, you can use freshly brewed grounds but they won’t contain as much caffeine.
2) Mix coffee grounds and cocoa powder in a bowl.
3) Add dairy/nondairy product, stirring until the paste becomes smooth. You can add less dairy if you prefer a smoother paste.
4) Apply to a clean face/neck area and allow it to dry, should take about 5-10 minutes.
5) Wet a washcloth with warm water, pressing it onto your skin to loosen the mask, then rinse with warm water. Continue with regular skin care routine.
Coffee and Cocoa combined decreases puffiness in the face and eye area, brightens your skin and wakes up a dull complexion. (Thank you caffeine!)
Almond Milk contains anti-aging qualities that nourish your skin. I chose Almond milk due to my lactose allergy – can’t take any chances!
If you have sensitive skin, I wouldn’t recommend rubbing your skin because the coffee grounds could potentially aggravate your skin. I ground my coffee beans very fine and was able to exfoliate my skin gently, which left my skin feeling clean and refreshed. You can also add honey to it for added moisture! I loved this mask, it was super quick and easy to make, highly recommend it.
Honey + Coconut Oil Face Mask
1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon of Pure Honey
1) Mix coconut oil with raw honey using a spoon until the paste looks like cloudy honey.
2) Apply your homemade face mask to your clean skin with your fingertips, pressing gently on your face.
3) Allow the mask to sit on your face for 15 minutes, then rinse gently with lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean facecloth.
4) Clean skin of excess coconut oil and honey, and continue with your regular skincare routine. (OMG, I’m so tired of writing that!)
Coconut Oil easily absorbs into your skin, smoothing and softening the texture of your skin. It also contains anti-oxidant properties which help your skin fight free radicals. It also is ideal for Psoriasis and Eczema sufferers, as well as relieving dry, rough and wrinkled skin.
Honey contains natural moisturizing properties.
Although it was easy and quick to make, it sadly made my skin break out. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t use this face mask again due to my already naturally oily skin. However, I would recommend it for anyone with flaky, dry skin. Great mask for the winter, just not for me. ✮✮/5
Banana + Honey Face Mask
1/2 of ripe Banana
1/2 Tablespoon of pure Honey
1) Mash banana in a small bowl or mug.
2) Add pure honey and mix.
3) Apply the drippy face mask over the sink, it is slightly runny, and allow to sit on skin for 15 minutes.
4) Rinse thoroughly, and finish off with your regular skincare routine.
Bananas contain medicinal properties that soothe inflamed skin, including pimples.
Honey contains natural moisturizing properties, contains natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, great for acne treatment and prevention!
Super easy to make and it smelled so tasty. I let it cool in the fridge while I washed my face before I applied it, and it felt amazing on my skin. It does look like it did calm some of my existing pimple inflammation, the honey did soothe and moisturize my skin as well.
Now raid your fridge and cupboards and let me know which ones you try! They were so much fun to try out and absolutely worth it – except the coconut oil + honey mask. Have you tried any DIY natural beauty products? I’m beyond curious of this neat little realm of health and beauty.
Until next time,